Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Perfect Day

I think I actually experienced it.

Jack: Jack was on Mach 5 asking to do this and that with me...all things I thought were way over his head. But he really surprised me today. Today, he seemed to have grown up overnight.

He wanted to do Time and Money cards that I have for Grace. He loves the colors and different watch faces, and the pictures of toys and items with money beside them. Jack can tell whole hour time on a face clock, but today he wouldn't allow me to skip any of the cards. And here is my little 3 year old saying out loud to himself, "The little hand is between the 3 and the 4, almost at the 4, but not quite. And the big hand is down at the 6, so it is three-six."

With coins, I decided to just have him identify the types of coins on the card and tell me what they were and how many of each. He was a champ!

Then he was bringing me his Bible. Twilight zone!!!


Grace: Had zero complaints throughout her morning. But it was the afternoon that tickled me. She came running in the house yelling, "Mom, you've got to come outside, I have something really cool to show you." Once I was outside, she wanted to make sure I heard the crickets in the summer heat. Then we rounded the corner of the deck, and she wanted me to noticed how we were getting closer. She led me to the rose bush, where lo-and-behold was a green cricket you wouldn't have ever seen had you not been listening for it. She was so excited that she had tracked this cricket down with her ears.

Then later, I hear Jack and Grace both in the playroom talking about their wooden birdhouses they decorated in the winter term. Cleaning in the other room, I asked what they were doing, and they emphatically shouted, "We are getting our birdhouses ready!". Ready?? I had to look. Sure enough, they were stuffing the little entrance hole with pine straw and string.

It has been just one of those good days. Even the sink is clean, table cloth changed, and the floor vacuumed.

No comments: